Re: How to get more than 2^32 BLOBs

От Donato Marrazzo
Тема Re: How to get more than 2^32 BLOBs
Дата
Re: How to get more than 2^32 BLOBs  (Laurenz Albe <laurenz.albe@cybertec.at>)
Список pgsql-admin
Hi Laurenz,

thank you for your reply.
Are you aware of any performance drawback?

Il giorno mer 8 apr 2020 alle ore 12:06 Laurenz Albe <laurenz.albe@cybertec.at> ha scritto:
On Wed, 2020-04-08 at 11:15 +0200, Donato Marrazzo wrote:
> according this page [1], large object are limited to the OID range of 2^32 (since it's a 4 bytes number).
> I'm working on a use case were there are many tables with blobs (on average not so large 32KB).
> I foresee that in 2-3 years time frame, the limit of overall blobs will be breached: more than 2^32 blobs.
>
> - Is there a way to change the OID limit?
> - Should we switch to a bytea implementation?
> - Are there any drawback of bytea except the maximum space?

Don't use large objects.  They are only useful if
1) you have files larger than 1GB or
2) you need to stream writes

There are no such limitations if you use the "bytea" data type, and it is
much simpler to handle at the same time.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Ing. Donato Marrazzo
Via Pia Nalli, 101