Creating Multiple Instance

От Selva manickaraja
Тема Creating Multiple Instance
Дата
Re: Creating Multiple Instance  (Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-admin
Hi All,

We are planning to create a 2nd instance of postgres db in the same server. The reason is simple. After we added another application, the number of WAL(s) created is too much. So we want to separate the db by moving it out to another instance of postgres in the same machine. We want to study that new application the new db independently to understand what could go wrong. Meanwhile we want the operations and backups on our existing db running on 5432 port to be going on as usual.

Steps we took:

1.Create a new cluster "/pgs/903/data_5433"
2. Start the db instance using new parameters i.e. - (su - postgres -c "/opt/pgs/903/bin/pg_ctl -w start -D \"/pgs/903/data_5433\" -l \"/pgs/903/data_5433/pg_log/startup.log\"")

Unfortunately we got the following error.

pg_ctl: another server might be running; trying to start server anyway
waiting for server to start... done
server started

First of all, we want to know if at all it is possible to do this in PostgreSQL, or whether we missed out any important steps.

Please help.

Thank you.

Regards,

Selvam