User-defined print format for extension-defined types in psql output

От Peter Devoy
Тема User-defined print format for extension-defined types in psql output
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi list

To make inspecting PostGIS tables in psql easier I have written a
function which outputs PostGIS Geometry objects as a string of ASCII
art.

Please does anyone know if there is there some way I can have my
function called automatically by psql instead of me writing it into
the query each time?  E.g. a user defined \pset option or some sort of
extension API which gives me access to the print logic or
'presentation layer' of psql.

By 'automatically' I mean through association with the PostGIS geometry types.

Example of how it looks at the moment: https://hastebin.com/nihujociga.sql

Kind regards

Peter