Re: Merge pgjdbc-parent-poms project into pgjdbc please

От Vitalii Tymchyshyn
Тема Re: Merge pgjdbc-parent-poms project into pgjdbc please
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc

Well, most of enterprise backend servers run on linux. Most are on commercial, like RedHat or Suse. As of OSGI, it's supported by Fedora (with Felix packages), it's just not very up to date. And PostgreSQL uses quite recent features. As I already noted, osgi-enterprise can be replaced with OPS4J package if there are OSSing problems with org.osgi.
Also I suppose other projects are somehow patched because they don't usually use felix packages.
One more thing: as for me it would be confusing to have not fully-featured driver distributed without being marked somehow. E.g. user trying to use it would be surprised why osgi datasource registration does not work in some environment.

Best regards, Vitalii Tymchyshyn

Пн, 25 січ. 2016 07:55 Pavel Raiskup <praiskup@redhat.com> пише:
On Monday 25 of January 2016 15:50:33 Vladimir Sitnikov wrote:
> Pavel>I also don't see the primary source -- is this osgi.enterprise code
> Pavel>expected to be freely redistributed?
>
> I am not going to redistribute it.
> Are you?

That is exactly what I do not want ;).

> I suggest just use the existing sources (that are available at Maven
> Central).

How?

> Pavel>Are they using OSGi enterprise somehow on Linux?

> They use OSGi, they run on Linux somehow => they are using OSGI on Linux
> somehow.

This is important question -- do they require maven?  If yes, it is
orthogonal set of issues.

> Pavel> OSGi compiled in pgjdbc.jar provided by RPMs?
>
> OSGi allows to isolate services and providers. OpenHAB project has
> chosen OSGi for dependency management, thus they rely on database
> services that OSGi provides.
> Someone choses *.rpm, someone choses *.deb. Same thing here: someone
> choses OSGi to manage dependencies & components & services.

Sounds like RPMs should not depend on OSGi, same as OSGi does not depend
on RPMs.

> Pavel>Why OpenHAB needs us
> Pavel>to compile OSGi in?
>
> osgi-enabled pgjdbc.jar is useful for applications that rely on OSGi.
> non-osgi-enabled pgjdbc.jar is useless for those kind of applications.

But OSGi is not on our platform, at least at this time.  So how can they
use jar from our RPMs?

Pavel

Сообщение: Re: Merge pgjdbc-parent-poms project into pgjdbc please
Сообщение: Re: Merge pgjdbc-parent-poms project into pgjdbc please