Re: JDBC 4 Compliance

От Vitalii Tymchyshyn
Тема Re: JDBC 4 Compliance
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc

Well, there are already multiple jars for different jdbc version, so you should not simply use "one jar" strategy. It may work for you, but it may also produce problems on invalid jdbc version.
At the other hand, one can't expect that both latest server and jdk will be used on every installation. You should not force user to use jdk7 for postgresql 9.3 or visa versa.
At my opinion, new jdbc 4.1 driver can drop some legacy server versions support, but only some, not all of it.

Best regards, Vitalii Tymchyshyn.

25 черв. 2013 05:04, "John R Pierce" <pierce@hogranch.com> напис.
On 6/24/2013 6:16 PM, David Johnston wrote:
speaking as a user and system administrator, I would NOT want to need to
>use different JAR files for each {jvm,postgres} version. that would be a
>nightmare.
>
>we have a LOT of systems in our manufacturing operations that are
>running older versions of {os, postgres, jvm} for various reasons, not
>the least of which is upgrades often break things in very non-obvious
>ways.
I really don't see how this a problem in the normal case where you'd pick a
JAR and then simply ignore upgrading as time progresses - just like you are
doing with everything else.

currently, we bundle the postgresql.jar with our applications, and we don't know what combination of systems it might end up being run on ... the same package might land on solaris or AIX or Linux or even MS Windows, and it might be run with anything from Java 1.5 or newer.   The postgresql server might be 8.3, 8.4, 9.x.   as most of our deployments end up deep in our Asian factories, the development group has little control over the final runtime environment, and quite often new releases of our packages are installed as application upgrades on existing infrastructure hardware.

--
john r pierce                                      37N 122W