Re: [pgsql-www] planet in more languages

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: [pgsql-www] planet in more languages
Дата
Список pgsql-www

On Sun, Jul 2, 2017 at 6:20 PM, Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
Magnus, all,

* Magnus Hagander (magnus@hagander.net) wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 1, 2017 at 3:48 PM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com>
> wrote:
> > But what we want to do here is not that kind of language-in-country
> > specific code, but rather something that means "list me all blog posts
> > in either Spanish or French".  Which would be this "es_fr" weird thing
> >
> we've just invented.  Maybe we should specify that differently -- maybe
> > separate them with commas instead of underscore.  So
> > planet.pg.org/fr,es,en/ would mean entries in either French, Spanish,
> > English.
>
> Oh, i was not aware there was such a plan. I don't think that was mentioned
> anywhere (well, reading the submission once knowing that I guess it was,
> but without knowing that I didn't realize it).

Yeah, same.

> Anyway, for that to be the idea, then I think that yes we should specify it
> differently. If it looks *almost* like the syntax used for
> language/country, then it will be misunderstood by more people than just
> me. And you would also need to deal with collissions - for example "pt_br"
> uses that syntax but is AIUI actually supposed to be treated differently?

Agreed- using underscores here would be a really bad idea.

> Commas require escaping in URLs I believe (except in the querystring) so I
> don't think that's the best choice. Maybe just use a dot? So /fr.en.es/?
>
> And this being significantly more involved than just picking one language,
> we *definitely* need an interface for people to select what they want.

Given that we need an interface and that we need to have some rather
complex support for these options, have we considered maybe given an
option for a user to be logged in and their prefereneces (Whatever they
are, and they could be more complicated later...) taken into
consideration when generating the page for them?

A full login seems unnecessarily complicated, TBH. With requirements on signups and email address and whatnot.

But it seems it would be a good idea to store the preferences in a browser cookie for example.

In other words, forget the URL mangling to try and make this happen in a
complex way.  Maybe we still have the URL mangling for the 'simple'
cases ('/fr' or '/fr_FR' or whatever...) but not for the complex cases
where user X wants 'fr_FR' and 'fr_US' and 'en_US'...

That's one option yeah. We definitely need *some* level URL addressability so people can send links around.

--

В списке pgsql-www по дате отправления:

Сообщение: Re: [pgsql-www] planet in more languages
Сообщение: Re: [pgsql-www] planet in more languages