Re: [pgsql-www] planet in more languages

От Stephen Frost
Тема Re: [pgsql-www] planet in more languages
Дата
Список pgsql-www
* Magnus Hagander (magnus@hagander.net) wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 2, 2017 at 6:20 PM, Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
> > Given that we need an interface and that we need to have some rather
> > complex support for these options, have we considered maybe given an
> > option for a user to be logged in and their prefereneces (Whatever they
> > are, and they could be more complicated later...) taken into
> > consideration when generating the page for them?
>
> A full login seems unnecessarily complicated, TBH. With requirements on
> signups and email address and whatnot.

Except that most people are likely to have an account already..?  This
would only be for individuals who wish for a more personalized planet
feed.

> But it seems it would be a good idea to store the preferences in a browser
> cookie for example.

That would also be better than trying to encode it all into a URL.

> > In other words, forget the URL mangling to try and make this happen in a
> > complex way.  Maybe we still have the URL mangling for the 'simple'
> > cases ('/fr' or '/fr_FR' or whatever...) but not for the complex cases
> > where user X wants 'fr_FR' and 'fr_US' and 'en_US'...
>
> That's one option yeah. We definitely need *some* level URL addressability
> so people can send links around.

Right, I agree with that, I just don't think we need to clutter up the
URLs that users use to get the overall feed with tons of complication.
Each feed should go into a simple category and that's what all the links
use and then there's a way for users to configure the combinations of
feeds they wish to see.

I don't know enough about other places and languages, but are we sure
that "language" is the level we'll always need, and that we don't need
(and don't want) to go to the two-level "language/country" that leads to
things like 'en_US'?  I ask specifically because if we think we'll want
language/country, then I expect we'll want wildcards.

Thanks!

Stephen

В списке pgsql-www по дате отправления: