Re: pg_checksums --help synopsis is quite long

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: pg_checksums --help synopsis is quite long
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Aug 23, 2019 at 8:49 AM Fabien COELHO <coelho@cri.ensmp.fr> wrote:

Hello Peter,

> With the additional functionality, the --help synopsis of pg_checksums
> has gotten quite long:
>
>   pg_checksums enables, disables, or verifies data checksums in a
>   PostgreSQL database cluster.
>
> Can we try to shorten this a bit?  Maybe
>
>   pg_checksums manages data checksums in a PostgreSQL database cluster.
>
> Other ideas?

My 0.02 €:

   pg_checksums triggers or verifies checksums in a Postgres cluster.

I think trigger is a bad word to use there, but I was already thinking to suggest something like "pg_checksums manages or verifies checksums in a PostgreSQL cluster", if that doesn't end up being too long?

I like the somehow detailed functionality list, if space allows, so I
tried to compressed the other parts.

Not sure that there could be a checksum on anything else but data.

Yeah, while we call them "data checksums" in most places, dropping the word data seems acceptable if we need to in order to get it short enough.

I have decided that PostgreSQL is a mouthful, thus I'm rather using
"Postgres".

Changing that in one tool and not everything would of course be really silly. And if you want to bring up the renaming again, please do so on pgsql-advocacy as a separate topic :)