Re: pg_checksums --help synopsis is quite long

От Michael Paquier
Тема Re: pg_checksums --help synopsis is quite long
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Aug 23, 2019 at 09:59:25AM +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> I think trigger is a bad word to use there, but I was already thinking to
> suggest something like "pg_checksums manages or verifies checksums in a
> PostgreSQL cluster", if that doesn't end up being too long?

Doesn't "manage" somewhat include "verify?  I don't find "trigger"
much helpful.

> Yeah, while we call them "data checksums" in most places, dropping the word
> data seems acceptable if we need to in order to get it short enough.

It would like to keep "data checksums" in the output, and by using the
suggestion of Peter upthread (aka only "manages"), the output gets
down:
$ pg_checksums --help | head -n1
pg_checksums manages data checksums in a PostgreSQL database cluster.
$ pg_checksums --help | head -n1 | wc -c
70

>> I have decided that PostgreSQL is a mouthful, thus I'm rather using
>> "Postgres".
>
> Changing that in one tool and not everything would of course be really
> silly. And if you want to bring up the renaming again, please do so on
> pgsql-advocacy as a separate topic :)

Indeed.  The official spelling is still "PostgreSQL".
--
Michael

Вложения