Re: BUG #15888: Bogus "idle in transaction" state for logicaldecoding client after creating a slot

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: BUG #15888: Bogus "idle in transaction" state for logicaldecoding client after creating a slot
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
On Tue, Jul 9, 2019 at 11:46 PM Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
On 2019-Jul-09, Andres Freund wrote:

> The problem doesn't exist in later versions, because there
> exec_replication_command() does an explicit
>       /* Report to pgstat that this process is now idle */
>       pgstat_report_activity(STATE_IDLE, NULL);
> That's due to
>
> commit d02974e32e028fc078d8f5eca1d6a4516efb0aa6
> Author: Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net>
> Date:   2017-12-29 16:19:51 +0100
>
>     Properly set base backup backends to active in pg_stat_activity
>
> which is post 9.6.  Not sure I really feel a huge appetite for whacking
> this around in the back branches.

Hmm ... so what that commit did is precisely to fix this bug.
Magnus thought at the time he was fixing a pg10 bug,
https://postgr.es/m/CABUevEwX4g8y=gmgfPzxFKS7gqjSYNR949Xc96OQm=YXJmh_Og@mail.gmail.com
but apparently now we see that the bug was older than that.  Maybe it's
okay to backpatch further?

I don't recall any particular reason around the backpatching other than as you say, probably not realizing it. At the time we didn't have logical replication yet (it landed later), so the actual uses of the logical decoding were nowhere near as frequent...

(Booh to missing "Discussion:" tags in commit messages)

If only we could agree on a template/standard for those :P

//Magnus