Re: -O switch

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: -O switch
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Oct 29, 2020 at 5:25 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> > On Thu, Oct 29, 2020 at 4:45 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> >> I don't think it's really obsolete ... don't we use that to pass
> >> PGOPTIONS through from the client?
>
> > That said, I don't think we do, or I'm misunderstanding what you mean.
> > The startup packet which holds the client options is not read until
> > we're already in the child process, so there is no further exec to be
> > done?
>
> [ pokes around... ]  Ah, you're right, that stuff goes through
> port->cmdline_options now.  It looks like the mechanism for -o
> is the postmaster's ExtraOptions variable, which we could get
> rid of this way.  Seems like a reasonable thing, especially since
> we unified all the other postmaster/postgres options already.

PFA a patch to do this.

Initially I kept the dynamic argv/argc in even though it's now
hardcoded, in case we wanted to add something back. But given the way
it looks now, perhaps we should just get rid of BackendRun()
completely and directly call PostgresMain()? Or keep BackendRun() with
just setting the TopMemoryContext, but removing the dynamic parts?

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: https://www.hagander.net/

Вложения