Re: Updates for PostgreSQL.org one-click installer download pages

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: Updates for PostgreSQL.org one-click installer download pages
Дата
Список pgsql-www

On Thursday, July 7, 2016, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
On Thu, Jul 7, 2016 at 4:12 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:

> On Thursday, July 7, 2016, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Jul 6, 2016 at 8:06 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com>
>> wrote:

>> > I am good either way, I was just expressing my experience.
>>
>> That has been my experience too, both in the office and in dealing
>> with large and small customers.
>>
>> I really don't care if it says "non-virtualised" instead though.
>>

> I know I'm coming late to this discussion, but I have a different comment on
> that. Which is, why is it there in the first plcae.
>
> In what way are the installers more designed for non-virtualized than
> DEB/RPM are? For virualized? For cloud, private, public, or hybrid?

They're more not "more designed" for any environment than RPM/DEBs.
These particular installers are much more flexible than some other
packages in that you can configure various options at installation
time that you cannot do in some other installers, or with RPM/DEBs. In
this case, some of that flexibility can be utilised in virtualised
environments if needed.

That may be of use for some users, or not for others.

Agreed. But I think the inclusion of wordings like cloud and hybrid cloud and things like that is feels strongly like marketing fluff, because the other ones are equally good for that (just in different ways). In fact, most people who actually dpeloy on clouds wouldn't use that, they'd use something like ansible or puppet anyway. Which works equally well with either of these solutions.

So I suggest - drop it.

//Magnus

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/

В списке pgsql-www по дате отправления:

Сообщение: Re: Updates for PostgreSQL.org one-click installer download pages
Сообщение: Re: Updates for PostgreSQL.org one-click installer download pages