Re: Draft release notes complete

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: Draft release notes complete
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 6:28 PM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
> On tor, 2012-05-10 at 17:31 +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>> If people want the main docs building more often that's not really a
>> problem other than time - we just need to decouple it from the
>> buildfarm and run a separate job for it. It's not rocket science..
>
> Many years ago, Bruce and myself in particular put in a lot of work to
> make the turnaround time on the docs build less than 5 minutes, based on
> various requests.  I'm disappointed to learn that that was abandoned
> without discussion.  We might as well just put the old job back.

It was not "abandoned without discussion" in any way.

First of all, the docs still build in 5 minutes.

Second, the "5 minutes docs build" link on the website was removed in
*2007*. At the request of Bruce, who maintained it. This request was
(at least according to the commit message and form what I can
remember) made in public on pgsql-www, and thus clearly open for
discussion. At http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-www/2007-12/msg00212.php.
Where Bruce claims the other one runs often enough, and nobody
objects.

Third, the regular docs build on the developer box (which I think ran
once / hour?) *did not work* (prior to that it kind of work but often
hung and failed, but at least it tried to run - at this point it
stopped even trying). The current docs build replaced the case when we
had *no developer docs updates at all*, by taking the reasonably quick
and easy fix to run it as part of an existing buildfarm animal and
upload the results.

So where in all this was anything "abandoned"?

Bruce already suggested putting the old job back on his box, which
he's of course free to do. But since it took almost 5 years before
anybody actually complained about that, maybe it's not really that big
a problem?

And it's already been agreed that increasing the dev docs build back
up to maybe once an hour would make sense.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/

Сообщение: Re: Draft release notes complete
Сообщение: Re: Draft release notes complete