Re: Switch TAP tests of pg_rewind to use role with only function permissions

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: Switch TAP tests of pg_rewind to use role with only function permissions
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Apr 11, 2019 at 6:13 AM Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> wrote:
Hi all,

Recent commit bfc80683 has added some documentation in pg_rewind about
the fact that it is possible to do the operation with a non-superuser,
assuming that this role has sufficient grant rights to execute the
functions used by pg_rewind.

Peter Eisentraut has suggested to have some tests for this kind of
user here:
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/e1570ba6-4459-d9b2-1321-9449adaaef4c@2ndquadrant.com

Attached is a patch which switches all the TAP tests of pg_rewind to
do that.  As of now, the tests depend on a superuser for everything,
and it seems to me that it makes little sense to make the tests more
pluggable by being able to switch the roles used on-the-fly (the
invocation of pg_rewind is stuck into RewindTest.pm) as a superuser
has no restrictions.

Any thoughts?

+1.

I definitely think having tests for this is good, otherwise we'll just end up making a change at some point that then suddenly breaks it and we won't notice.

If we haven't already (and knowing you it wouldn't surprise me if you had :P), we should probably look through the rest of the tests to see if we have other similar cases. In general I think any case where "can be run by non-superuser with specific permissions or a superuser" is the case, we should be testing it with the "non-superuser with permissions". Because, well, superusers will never have permission problems (and they will both test the functionality).

I do think it's perfectly reasonable to have that hardcoded in the RewindTest.pm module. It doesn't have to be pluggable.