Re: libpq custom row processing

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: libpq custom row processing
Дата
Список psycopg
On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 3:25 PM, Federico Di Gregorio <fog@dndg.it> wrote:
> On 07/08/12 15:14, Marko Kreen wrote:
>> My point is that the behavior is not something completely new,
>> that no-one has seen before.
>>
>> But it's different indeed from libpq default, so it's not something
>> psycopg can convert to using unconditionally.  But as optional feature
>> it should be quite useful.
>
> I agree. As an opt-in feature would be quite useful for large datasets
> but then, named cursors already cover that ground. Not that I am against
> it, just I'd like to see why:
>
> curs = conn.cursor(row_by_row=True)
>
> would be better than:
>
> curs = conn.cursor("row_by_row")
>
> Is row by row faster than fetching from a named cursor? Does it add less
> overhead. If that's the case then would be nice to have it as a feature
> for optimizing queries returning large datasets.

A big win would be that you don't need to keep the whole dataset in
memory, wouldn't it? As you're looping through it, you can throw away
the old results...

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/

В списке psycopg по дате отправления:

От: Federico Di Gregorio
Сообщение: Re: libpq custom row processing
Сообщение: Re: libpq custom row processing