Re: [HACKERS] Function to move the position of a replication slot

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Function to move the position of a replication slot
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Sep 3, 2017 at 12:20 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
On Fri, Sep 1, 2017 at 11:30 PM, Peter Eisentraut
> On 8/31/17 08:19, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>> Rebased. Now named pg_advance_replication_slot. ERROR on logical slots.
>> Forward only.
>>
>> I think that, in the end, covered all the comments?
>
> I didn't see any explanation of what this would actually be useful for.
> I suppose you could skip over some changes you don't want replicated,
> but how do you find to what position to skip?
>
> Logical replication has a similar mechanism, using the function
> pg_replication_origin_advance().  Any overlap there?  (Maybe the names
> could be aligned.)
> (https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/static/logical-replication-conflicts.html)

I think you can use this to work around the absence of failover slots.

That was the initial usecase I had for this, yes.

It can also be combined with file-based restoring to keep a "blocker" preventing removal before a segment has progressed through a workflow for example.