Re: pgsql: Validate page level checksums in base backups

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: pgsql: Validate page level checksums in base backups
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Apr 4, 2018 at 8:22 PM, Michael Banck <michael.banck@credativ.de> wrote:
Hi,

On Wed, Apr 04, 2018 at 07:25:11PM +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 4, 2018 at 3:47 PM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org>
> wrote:
> > Michael Banck wrote:
> >
> > > However, the pg_basebackup testsuite takes up 800+ MB to run,
> >
> > Uh, you're right.  This seems a bit over the top.  Can we reduce that
> > without losing coverage?  We've gone great lengths to avoid large
> > amounts of data in tests elsewhere.
>
> That didn't come out of this patch, right? This is a pre-existing issue?

It was around that ballpark before, but this patch probably made
things worse as it adds four additional datadirs (around 40 MB each
here) and we are close to 1 GB now.

I haven't looked at the other testsuites, but if it is ok to cleanup the
basebackups after each set of tests suceeded, that would alleviate the
problem.

Otherwise, I had a quick look and there is no obvious outlier; the
pgdata is 220 MB after the testrun (195 MB of which is WAL, maybe that
could be cut down somehow?) and the base backups are 22-40 MB each, and
there is around 20 of them, so that adds up to more than 750 MB.

It certainly seems reasonable to delete the base backups once they're made, after each step, rather than keeping them around forever.

Do we have a precedent somewhere for how we do this, or does our test framework already have a way to do it? How are all the actual data directories etc cleaned up?

Or should it just be a matter of sprinkling some unlink() calls throughout the test file?