Re: Restoring 9.1 db from crashed disk/VM

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: Restoring 9.1 db from crashed disk/VM
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Sat, Jan 2, 2021 at 12:50 PM robert <robert@redcor.ch> wrote:

> Friends
>
> I hope you had a good start into 2021.
>

> I would like to get some advice on how to restore a 9.1 DB, of which I have the
>
> /var/lib/postgresql
>
> with some 20GB salvaged.
>
> Now I find now easily usable 9.1 PostgreSQL installer anymore.
>
> How should I proceed to get that data in a newer PG loaded?
>
> Could I just install a 9.5 and  copy the salvaged folder into
>
> /var/lib/postgresql/9/main
>

> Or could I add the folder to my PG 12 installation like:
>
> /var/lib/postgresql/12/main
>                              /9/main
>
> and tell PG 12 somehow to read the data for the PG9 folder?

No, you need a PostgreSQL of the same version that you had for the
backups, in this case 9.1. No version outside of 9.1 will be able to
directly use that data folder.

You don't mention what your operating system is, but  baked on the
paths you mention it sounds like a debian based system. If that is it,
then the apt-archive will contain binaries (unsupported of course) for
these old versions. See https://apt-archive.postgresql.org/

If not, then you will have to build from source manually -- the old
versions of PostgreSQL are still available in source form on
https://ftp.postgresql.org/pub/source/

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: https://www.hagander.net/