Re: Commit message / hash in commitfest page.

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: Commit message / hash in commitfest page.
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Apr 13, 2019 at 10:28 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Tomas Vondra <tomas.vondra@2ndquadrant.com> writes:

>>> Commitfest items always point to discussion threads. These threads often
>>> end with a message that says that the patch is pushed.  IMHO, that
>>> message would be the place to include the commithash.   It would also be
>>> easily findable via the commitfest application.

> I think it might be useful to actually have that directly in the CF app,
> not just in the thread. There would need to a way to enter multiple
> hashes, because patches often have multiple pieces.

> But maybe that'd be too much unnecessary burden. I don't remember when I
> last needed this information. And I'd probably try searching in git log
> first anyway.

Yeah, I can't see committers bothering to do this.  Including the
discussion thread link in the commit message is already pretty
significant hassle, and something not everybody remembers/bothers with.

But ... maybe it could be automated?  A bot looking at the commit log
could probably suck out the thread links and try to match them up
to CF entries.  Likely you could get about 90% right even without that,
just by matching the committer's name and the time of commit vs time
of CF entry closure.

Would you even need to match that? It would be easy enough to scan all git commit messages for links to th earchives and populate any CF entry that attaches to that same thread.

Of course, that would be async, so you'd end up closing the CF entry and then have it populate with the git information a bit later (in the simple case where there is just one commit and then it 's done).

Unless we want to go all the way and have said bot actualy close the CF entry. But the question is, do we?