Re: Template for commit messages

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: Template for commit messages
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Feb 1, 2016 at 1:04 PM, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
On 2016-02-01 12:56:21 +0100, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> Let's just assume that we can fix that part. As in, we can expose either an
> internal db id or a short hash or something, from the archives server. We
> could then have that visible/linkable directly on the archives page, and
> one could copy/paste that link into the commit message. That way we can
> avoid the long messageids.

Raw messageids have the big big advantage that you can get them locally
in your mailreader, and you can dereference them locally... I type
esc-X id:$id<enter> and 20ms later I have the whole thread open.  Maybe
I just travel too much, but travel time is often long and uninterrupted
and thus pretty nice to work on patches.

If it was a short hash of the same thing, you could equally find them locally though, couldn't you?

I don't really see the problem, even with gmail style messageids
Discussion: CABUevEz_UJA0ddrW7apjh3Nm4p0KghwOPm0WPW4Mh_gT2-nRJw@mail.gmail.com
isn't that bad.

If people don't actually have a problem with it, that of course makes it even easier :)