Re: [HACKERS] removing tsearch2

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: [HACKERS] removing tsearch2
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On Feb 14, 2017 18:26, "David E. Wheeler" <david@justatheory.com> wrote:
On Feb 14, 2017, at 5:37 AM, Jim Nasby <Jim.Nasby@BlueTreble.com> wrote:

>> Until pgxn has a way of helping users on for example Windows (or other
>> platforms where they don't have a pgxs system and a compiler around),
>> it's always going to be a "second class citizen".
>
> I view that as more of a failing of pgxs than pgxn. Granted, the most common (only?) pgxn client right now is written in python, but it's certainly possible to run that on windows with some effort (BigSQL does it), and I'm fairly certain it's not that hard to package a python script as a windows .exe.

Yeah, that’s outside of PGXN’s mandate. It doesn’t do any installing at all, just distribution (release, search, download). Even the Python client just looks to see what build support is in a distribution it downloads to decide how to build it (make, configure, etc.), IIRC.

It's a failing in one of the two at least. It either needs to be easier to build the things on windows, or pgxn would need to learn to do binary distributions.

Even if we get the building easier on windows, it'll likely remain a second class citizen (though better than today's third class), given the amount of windows machines that actually have a compiler on them for start. Pgxs in Windows would be a big improvement, but it won't solve the problem.

/Magnus