Re: [CORE] postpone next week's release

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: [CORE] postpone next week's release
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 9:32 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 8:54 PM, Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
>> I just caution that we appreciate PGCon coming up and that we do our
>> best to avoid running into a case where we have to push it further due
>> to everyone being at the conference.

> If we plan it, we certainly *can* make a release during pgcon. If that's
> what the reasonable timing comes down to, I think getting these fixes out
> definitely has to be considered more important than the conference, so a
> few of us will just have to take a break...

I think there's no way that we wait more than one additional week to push
the fsync fix.  So the problem is not with scheduling the update releases,
it's with whether we can also fit in a 9.5 beta release before PGCon.

I think 9.5 beta has to stand back. The question is what we do with the potentially two minor releases. Then we can slot in the beta whenever.

If we do the minor as currently planned, can we do another one the week after to deal with the multixact issues? (scheduling wise we're going to have to do one the week after *regardless*, the question is if we can make two different ones, or if we need to fold them into one)

(I can't see doing a beta *during* PGCon week.  I for one am going to be
on an airplane at the time I'd normally have to be Doing Release Stuff.)

Agreed. We can push a *minor* during pgcon, but not beta.

I know Josh doesn't like to do beta1 releases concurrently with back
branches because it confuses the PR messaging.  But we could make an
exception perhaps; or do all those releases the same week but announce
the beta the day after the bugfix releases.

I can't comment on the PR parts, I'll leave that to Josh.

Or we just let the beta slide till after PGCon, but then I think we're
missing some excitement factor.

Well, most of the people going to pgcon know it already. And most of the excitement affects people who are not at pgcon (simply based on that most of our users are not at pgcon). If doing it the week after pgcon is what ends up making sense once weve figured out what to do with the minors, then so be it, IMNSHO.

Сообщение: Re: [CORE] postpone next week's release
Сообщение: Re: [CORE] postpone next week's release