Re: The pg_indent on on ftp is outdated

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: The pg_indent on on ftp is outdated
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Dec 22, 2017 at 1:33 AM, Craig Ringer <craig@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

On 21 Dec. 2017 22:42, "Tom Lane" <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 21, 2017 at 12:42 PM, Craig Ringer <craig@2ndquadrant.com>
> wrote:
>>> The pg_indent on www is outdated, and doesn't understand --version .
>>> https://www.postgresql.org/ftp/dev/

> Is there a reason to keep it at all if its obsolete, or should we just
> delete it?

The only reason I can think of why someone might still want that version
is if they're doing hacking on a pre-v10 branch and would like to indent
accordingly.  If we have someplace for historical versions, I'd suggest
moving this tarball to there, and replacing it with a README that says
"go here for pre-v10 pgindent, or there for modern versions".

Add it as a branch in the git repo and backpatch the pgindent README?

Hardly seems worth the hassle. It's not like back patches need tons of worry about pgindent etc anyway.

That seems way overkill, yeah.

We don't have a place for historic versions of this stuff. We have the archive directory but that's specifically a tarball of the last cvs stuff.

I think a simple README is the way to go.

I've cooked together something simple and pushed it. Please review and suggest changes.