Re: Does PostgreSQL have complete functional test cases?

От Tianyin Xu
Тема Re: Does PostgreSQL have complete functional test cases?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Ok, I agree that "2147483647" is not a reasonable setting. But what's the definition of "reasonable"? I just want to study the impact of the setting so I test the big number first.

Having the setting:

cpu_index_tuple_cost = 10

I still get failures of "create_index", "inherit", "join", "stats".

When you give users the flexibility of configurations, you cannot say all the values mismatching with your expectations are not allowed. In fact the system allowed such settings.

On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 6:10 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
On Thu, Nov  8, 2012 at 05:37:22PM -0800, Tianyin Xu wrote:
> Thanks, Craig,
>
> Yes, I know "context diff". What I don't know is whether + or - some rows is a
> big problem, let's say correctness problem. I didn't write the test cases so I
> don't know what these test cases are exactly doing.
> If you tell me the failure of these test cases are severe and not acceptable,
> I'm fine with it. It means these configurations are not allowed.
>
> For this particular case, I figured out that it's because of the following
> settings,
>
> cpu_index_tuple_cost = 2147483647
>
> which assigned a big number to the cpu_index_tuple_cost, affecting the query
> planner.
>
> But to me, the configuration settings should not affect the correctness, right?
> Because whatever optimizations you do, the results should be the same (what
> matters is the performance). And that's why I need testing before adjusting
> these values.

We can't test the optimizer is reasonable if you change settings in this
way, so no, I am not surprised it failed.

--
  Bruce Momjian  <bruce@momjian.us>        http://momjian.us
  EnterpriseDB                             http://enterprisedb.com

Tianyin XU,
http://cseweb.ucsd.edu/~tixu/

Сообщение: Re: Does PostgreSQL have complete functional test cases?
Сообщение: Re: Does PostgreSQL have complete functional test cases?