Re: Public vs internal APIs

От Vladimir Sitnikov
Тема Re: Public vs internal APIs
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc
>I mean, people shall code against java.* API, not against org.postgresql implementation. If we make this clear in the
JavaDocs,maybe it is enough?

On contrary, we do want to expose advanced stuff PostgreSQL has.
For instance: "timestamp with time zone". Not everybody can upgrade to java 8.

Another example is COPY command: JDBC has no standard way of doing that.
We have to define org.postgresql interface for it.

JDBC is not that good for async operations either: logical decoding,
notify, etc, so again some org.postgresql might do much better job
here.

For regular stuff like "send int here and there", everybody should use
regular JDBC, however, there are cases when non-JDBC usage is
intended.

Vladimir