Re: root cause of corruption in hot standby

От Mike Broers
Тема Re: root cause of corruption in hot standby
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Ok so I have checksum errors in this replica AGAIN.

To remind the list of the scenario:
primary 9.5.14 db centos 7.4 ext4 filesystem on vmware in colo hosting environment with ssd san
one replica in same colo with same os configuration on hyper-v vm on the same san starts reporting checksum error
second replica with same os configuration in AWS does not have this problem.  both are connected directly to primary as hot standbys using streaming replication, with a restore command and rsynced archivelogs if streaming falls behind primary xlog.

This occurred during times of relatively low activity on the primary, I verified in the log that streaming replication is connected and it isnt happening during the application of an rsync'ed transaction log.  Previously it was thought that maybe i was rsyncing transaction logs as they were being written and this was the cause.  Im doubting that now and Ive changed the rsync command to base its list on a find with  -mmin +10 to avoid rsyncing files unless their mtime is older than 10 minutes.

The last time this happened I ran chkdsk (no errors) and even reformatted the volumes.  Is there any extensive testing I can do to verify the memory isnt the problem or some other tests to try to determine root cause?  Its a hyper-v vm so Im not sure how the virtual hardware abstraction is playing a role. My next step is going to be destroying and recreating the vm, but Im going to have a hard time being confident in the replica environment if I have no idea what is causing this.

Many other VMs share the hyperv environment, no other hosts have complained about this kind of problem.

Thanks for reading, any guidance is appreciated.