driving postgres to achieve benchmark results similar to bonnie++

От Mike Broers
Тема driving postgres to achieve benchmark results similar to bonnie++
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
I'm having trouble getting postgres to drive enough disk activity to get even close to the disk benchmarking I'm getting with bonnie++.   We have SSD SAN and the xlog is on its own ssd volume as well, postgres 9.5 running on centos 6.

bonnie++ -n 0 -f -b is the command im running, pointing to either primary data or xlog location Im consistently seeing numbers like this:

Version 1.03e       ------Sequential Output------ --Sequential Input- --Random-

                    -Per Chr- --Block-- -Rewrite- -Per Chr- --Block-- --Seeks--

      Size K/sec %CP K/sec %CP K/sec %CP K/sec %CP K/sec %CP  /sec %CP

23808M           786274  92 157465  29           316097  17  5751  16

So during bonnie++ tests I've confirmed in our monitoring write peaks at 700/800 MB/sec and read peaks around 280/300 MB/sec.

We have 12GB RAM on the server, when I run pgbench with a scale that sets the pgbench database in the realm of 18GB - 25GB I barely break 110MB/sec writes and 80MB/sec.   I'm running with different options such unlogged tables and logged tables, prepared transactions or not, and transaction counts between 1000 and 40000.

I thought a parallel pg_dump / restore might also drive disk but that performance doesnt drive disk throughput either, topping out around 75MB/sec read.  Nightly vacuums also seem to peak below 110MB/sec reads as well.

Here are the nondefault pg settings:

max_connections = 1024
shared_buffers = 1024MB
wal_buffers = 16MB
checkpoint_completion_target = '.9'
archive_mode = on
random_page_cost = '1.5'
maintenance_work_mem = 512MB
work_mem = 64MB
max_wal_senders = 5
checkpoint_timeout = 10min
effective_io_concurrency = 4
effective_cache_size = 8GB
wal_keep_segments = 512
wal_level = hot_standby
synchronous_commit = off

Any idea of if/why postgres might be bottlenecking disk throughput?  Or if there is a method for testing to achieve something closer the bonnie++ levels from within postgres that I am missing?  I'm guessing I'm just not driving enough activity to push it to the limit but I'm not sure of a straightforward method to verify this.

Thanks,

Mike