Re: Publishing Postgres Manual as a book

От Ian Lawrence Barwick
Тема Re: Publishing Postgres Manual as a book
Дата
Re: Publishing Postgres Manual as a book  (Erik Wienhold <ewie@ewie.name>)
Список pgsql-docs
2023年3月23日(木) 12:23 Erik Wienhold <ewie@ewie.name>:

> > On 23/03/2023 02:35 CET Siddharth Jain <siddhsql@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > The Postgres Manual is available online as a PDF but I think having it in a
> > book form could be useful to some.
> >
> > Is it legal for me to publish the manual as a book?
>
> IANAL, but I'd say yes as long as you don't take a fee.  The legal notice of
> the documentation grants distribution of the documentation "for any purpose,
> without fee".

Also not a lawyer, but the full sentence is:

> Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software and its
> documentation for any purpose, without fee, and without a written agreement is
> hereby granted

which in my non-lawyerly interpretation means anyone copying, modifying and
distributing the documentation may do so without paying a fee. A distributor
could charge what they like. AFAIR the documentation has previously been
published in book form, though as it runs to about 3,000 A4 pages now,
the logistics are non-trivial.

Regards

Ian Barwick

Сообщение: Re: Publishing Postgres Manual as a book
Сообщение: Re: Publishing Postgres Manual as a book