Re: Trying to go 8.1.24 to 9.3.2

От Ian Lawrence Barwick
Тема Re: Trying to go 8.1.24 to 9.3.2
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
> Help!
>

> Everytime I run 8.1 my server average load mostly below 10.
> Everytime I run 9.3 my server average load is about 30.

<snip>

> Any clue to the runaway performance?

What kind of environment is your installation running on (OS, memory etc.?)

In particular your memory settings seem to be on the low side:

  shared_buffers = 1024
  work_mem = 64
  maintenance_work_mem = 1024
  temp_buffers = 100

Unqualified values default to units of 8kB; it's generally easier to
qualify them
explicitly:

  shared_buffers = 8MB
  work_mem = 512kB
  maintenance_work_mem = 8MB
  temp_buffers = 800kB

You very probably will be able to improve performance by increasing some or all
of these values, but it's hard to say by how much without knowing more about
your environment.

Also I see that in your 8.1 configuration, "max_connections" is 20,
but in 9.1 it's 5.

Regards

Ian Barwick