Re: PostgreSQL Upgrade with Replication managed via repmgr

От Ian Lawrence Barwick
Тема Re: PostgreSQL Upgrade with Replication managed via repmgr
Дата
Список pgsql-general
2022年3月2日(水) 23:49 DAN LU <dannyvlu006@gmail.com>:

> Hello,
>
> I am hoping someone can help me regarding upgrading PG to the latest release
> that has replication setup via repmgr.
>
> Here is an example of my current setup:
> Server A: PostgreSQL 12.1 serving as the "primary" role managed by repmgr 5.1 (https://repmgr.org/)
> Server B: PostgreSQL 12.1 serving as the "standby" role managed by repmgr 5.1 as well
>
> Goal:
> Upgrade both primary and standby PG to 14.1 with repmgr 5.1.
>
> I read the upgrade steps via
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/14/pgupgrade.html.  Step #9 to step #11 is for
> instance with standby, but it does not say repmgr specifically.

repmgr is not part of the core PostgreSQL project, so like any non-core
extension or utility is not considered in the core documentation.

> I also find no literature online that others posted regarding repmgr in the
> mix of an upgrade.

The repmgr documentation discusses this situation:

  https://repmgr.org/docs/current/upgrading-and-pg-upgrade.html

Basically, you should upgrade repmgr to the latest version (5.3.1)
on the current (12.x) server. Otherwise the upgrade with pg_upgrade
will fail, as it will detect that the upgraded database is attempting
to reference extension functions which have been removed or renamed
(which is the case with this repmgr upgrade path)

BTW this issue is not specific to repmgr, and will be relevant for
any non-core extensions which use shared libraries.

> Upgrade both primary and standby PG to 14.1 with repmgr 5.1.

Actually, if that is your goal, you shouldn't need to take any
particular action for repmgr. However do bear in mind that repmgr 5.1
was released in April 2020, and there have been a number of improvements
and bugfixes since then.

I do suggest verifying the upgrade in a non-production environment first.

Regards

Ian Barwick

--
EnterpriseDB: https://www.enterprisedb.com