Re: Re: BUG #13685: Archiving while idle every archive_timeout with wal_level hot_standby

От Michael Paquier
Тема Re: Re: BUG #13685: Archiving while idle every archive_timeout with wal_level hot_standby
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Feb 10, 2016 at 12:41 PM, Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 10, 2016 at 7:17 AM, Michael Paquier <michael.paquier@gmail.com>
> wrote:

>> > Such case was not covered without your patch and I don't see the
>> > need of same especially at the cost of taking locks.
>>
>> In this code path that's quite cheap, and it clearly improves the
>> decision-making when wal_level >= hs which is now rather broken (say
>> not optimized much).

>> > Sure, but not when you are already going to take lock for longer
>> > duration.
>>
>> Why would an exclusive lock be taken for a longer duration in the
>> checkpoint portion?
>
> Consider below code:
>
> /*
> + * Get progress before acquiring insert locks to shorten the locked
> + * section waiting ahead.
> + */
> + progress_lsn = GetProgressRecPtr();
> +
> + /*
>   * We must block concurrent insertions while examining insert state to
>   * determine the checkpoint REDO pointer.
>   */
>   WALInsertLockAcquireExclusive();
>
> In GetProgressRecPtr(), first it take WALInsertLocks one-by-one to
> retrieve the latest value of progressAt and then again it will take
> all the WALInsertLocks in WALInsertLockAcquireExclusive() and then
> do some work.  Now I think it is okay to retrieve the latest of progressAt
> after WALInsertLockAcquireExclusive() as you don't need to take the
> locks again.

Sure, that would be OK. Now I am not on board if this means to have the checkpoint take an exclusive locks for a bit longer duration if that's not actually necessary.

>> > - last_snapshot_lsn != GetXLogInsertRecPtr())
>> > +
>> > GetLastCheckpointRecPtr() < GetProgressRecPtr())
>> >
>> > How the above check in patch suppose to work?
>> > I think it could so happen once bgwriter logs snapshot, both checkpoint
>> > and progressAt won't get updated any further and I think this check will
>> > allow to log snapshots in such a case as well.
>>
>> The only purpose of this check is to do the following thing: if no WAL
>> activity has happened since last checkpoint, there is no need to log a
>> standby snapshot from the perspective of the bgwriter. In case the
>> system is idle, we want to skip logging that and avoid unnecessary
>> checkpoints because those records would have been generated. If the
>> system is not idle, or to put it in other words there has been at
>> least one record since the last checkpoint, we would log a standby
>> snapshot, enforcing as well a checkpoint to happen the next time
>> CreateCheckpoint() is gone through, and a standby snapshot is logged
>> as well after the checkpoint contents are flushed. I am not sure I
>> understand what you are getting at...
>
> Let me try to say again, suppose ControlFile->checkPoint is at
> 100 and latest value of progressAt returned by GetProgressRecPtr
> is 105, so the first time the above check happens, it will allow
> to log standby snapshot which is okay, now assume there is no
> activity, neither there is any checkpoint and again after
> LOG_SNAPSHOT_INTERVAL_MS interval, when the above check
> gets executed, it will pass and log the standby snapshot which is
> *not* okay, because we don't want to log standby snapshot when
> there is no activity.  Am I missing something?

Ah, right. Sorry for not getting your point. OK now I got it. So basically what the code does not is that if there is just one record after a checkpoint we would log every 15s a standby snapshot until the next checkpoint even if nothing happens, but we can save a bunch of standby records. So your point is that we need to save the result of GetProgressRecPtr() at each loop in the bgwriter when a standby snapshot is taken, say in a static XLogRecPtr called last_progress_lsn. And then at the next loop we compare it on the current result of GetProgressRecPtr(), so the condition to check if a standby snapshot should be generated or not in the bgwriter becomes that:
(now >= timeout &&
 GetLastCheckpointRecPtr() < current_progress_ptr &&
 last_progress_ptr < current_progress_ptr)
That's your point?
--
Michael