Re: [HACKERS] Pinning a buffer in TupleTableSlot is unnecessary

От Michael Paquier
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Pinning a buffer in TupleTableSlot is unnecessary
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Dec 5, 2016 at 11:32 AM, Haribabu Kommi
<kommi.haribabu@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 15, 2016 at 1:17 PM, Noah Misch <noah@leadboat.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Nov 14, 2016 at 10:21:53AM -0800, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
>> > BTW, I recently noticed that the latest version of Valgrind, 3.12,
>> > added this new feature:
>> >
>> > * Memcheck:
>> >
>> >   - Added meta mempool support for describing a custom allocator which:
>> >      - Auto-frees all chunks assuming that destroying a pool destroys
>> > all
>> >        objects in the pool
>> >      - Uses itself to allocate other memory blocks
>> >
>> > It occurred to me that we might be able to make good use of this.
>>
>> PostgreSQL memory contexts don't acquire blocks from other contexts; they
>> all
>> draw from malloc() directly.  Therefore, I don't see this feature giving
>> us
>> something that the older Memcheck MEMPOOL support does not give us.
>
> Moved to next CF with "needs review" status.
> Please feel free to update the status if the current status doesn't reflect
> the status of the patch.

The latest patch available still applies, one person has added his
name (John G) in October though there have been no reviews. There have
been a couple of arguments against this patch, and the thread has had
no activity for the last month, so I would be incline to mark that as
returned with feedback. Thoughts?
--
Michael