Re: FPW compression leaks information

От Michael Paquier
Тема Re: FPW compression leaks information
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Apr 16, 2015 at 4:26 PM, Michael Paquier
<michael.paquier@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 15, 2015 at 9:42 PM, Michael Paquier
> <michael.paquier@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Apr 15, 2015 at 9:20 PM, Michael Paquier
>> <michael.paquier@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I'll get something done for that at least, a big warning below the
>>> description of wal_compression would do it.
>
> So here is a patch for this purpose, with the following text being used:
> +       <warning>
> +        <para>
> +         When enabling <varname>wal_compression</varname>, there is a risk
> +         to leak data similarly to the BREACH and CRIME attacks on SSL where
> +         the compression ratio of a full page image gives a hint of what is
> +         the existing data of this page.  Tables that contain sensitive
> +         information like <structname>pg_authid</structname> with password
> +         data could be potential targets to such attacks. Note that as a
> +         prerequisite a user needs to be able to insert data on the same page
> +         as the data targeted and need to be able to detect checkpoint
> +         presence to find out if a compressed full page write is included in
> +         WAL to calculate the compression ratio of a page using WAL positions
> +         before and after inserting data on the page with data targeted.
> +        </para>
> +       </warning>
>
> Comments and reformulations are welcome.

To make things on this thread move on, I just wanted to add that we
should make wal_compression SUSET without waiting if we make this
parameter a reloption or not. As things stand, even if it is a
reloption, any user can enforce its value in a given session.
--
Michael