Re: Password identifiers, protocol aging and SCRAM protocol

От Michael Paquier
Тема Re: Password identifiers, protocol aging and SCRAM protocol
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jul 4, 2016 at 6:34 AM, Peter Eisentraut
> On 7/2/16 3:54 PM, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
>>
>> In related news, RFC 7677 that describes a new SCRAM-SHA-256
>> authentication mechanism, was published in November 2015. It's identical
>> to SCRAM-SHA-1, which is what this patch set implements, except that
>> SHA-1 has been replaced with SHA-256. Perhaps we should forget about
>> SCRAM-SHA-1 and jump straight to SCRAM-SHA-256.
>
> I think a global change from SHA-1 to SHA-256 is in the air already, so if
> we're going to release something brand new in 2017 or so, it should be
> SHA-256.
>
> I suspect this would be a relatively simple change, so I wouldn't mind
> seeing a SHA-1-based variant in CF1 to get things rolling.

I'd just move this thing to SHA256, we are likely going to use that at the end.

As I am coming back into that, I would as well suggest do the
following, that the current set of patches is clearly missing:
- Put the HMAC infrastructure stuff of pgcrypto into src/common/. It
is a bit a shame to not reuse what is currently available, then I
would suggest to reuse that with HMAC_SCRAM_SHAXXX as label.
- Move *all* the SHA-related things of pgcrypto to src/common,
including SHA1, SHA224 and SHA256. px_memset is a simple wrapper on
top of memset, we should clean up that first.
Any other things to consider that I am forgetting?
--
Michael