Re: [HACKERS] proposal: custom autovacuum entries

От Michael Paquier
Тема Re: [HACKERS] proposal: custom autovacuum entries
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Oct 26, 2017 at 1:47 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Jordan Deitch <jwdeitch@gmail.com> writes:
>> I would like to remove records from a time series table older than a
>> certain age. My understanding of current standard practice is to configure
>> an external scheduler like cron to perform the deletion.
>> My proposal is to allow clients to register functions on the tail end of
>> the autovacuum sequence.
>
> There's already a mechanism for writing custom background workers.
> I doubt that adding random user-defined stuff to what autovacuum has
> to do is a better idea; that will mostly make autovac scheduling even
> harder than it is now.

I agree with Tom here, there is no point to have more facilities in
autovacuum so as it does extra work at its tail. There may be not even
any need to develop your own background worker. Have you looked at
pg_cron [1]?

[1]: https://github.com/citusdata/pg_cron
--
Michael