Re: [HACKERS] Re: Clarifying "server starting" messaging in pg_ctlstart without --wait

От Michael Paquier
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Re: Clarifying "server starting" messaging in pg_ctlstart without --wait
Дата
Re: [HACKERS] Re: Clarifying "server starting" messaging in pg_ctlstart without --wait  (Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@2ndquadrant.com>)
Re: [HACKERS] Re: Clarifying "server starting" messaging in pg_ctlstart without --wait  (Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jan 18, 2017 at 7:31 AM, Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
> Perhaps we need a way for pg_ctl to realize a cold-standby case and
> throw an error or warning if --wait is specified then, but that hardly
> seems like the common use-case.  It also wouldn't make any sense to have
> anything in the init system which depended on PG being up in such a case
> because, well, PG isn't ever going to be 'up'.

Yeah, it seems to me that we are likely looking for a wait mode saying
to exit pg_ctl once Postgres is happily rejecting connections, because
that means that it is up and that it is sorting out something first
before accepting them. This would basically filter the states in the
control file that we find as acceptable if the connection test
continues complaining about PQPING_REJECT.
--
Michael