Re: Request for vote to move forward with recovery.conf overhaul

От Michael Paquier
Тема Re: Request for vote to move forward with recovery.conf overhaul
Дата
Re: Request for vote to move forward with recovery.conf overhaul  (Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com>)
Re: Request for vote to move forward with recovery.conf overhaul  (Simon Riggs <simon@2ndQuadrant.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 8:51 AM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
On 21 January 2013 23:23, Michael Paquier <michael.paquier@gmail.com> wrote:

> It is an 17-month-old-patch, so of course it does not apply on master.
> However before taking any actions, I would like to know the following:
> - Simon, are you planning to update this patch?

It's on my list, but not at the front to the queue.

If you want to know what my priority queue looks like... (preliminary opinion)
1. Skip checkpoint on promoting from streaming replication (almost ready)
2. Further review of WAL decoding (opinion pending, but very solid)
3. Performance Improvement by reducing WAL for Update Operation (likely commit)
4. Row Level Security (possible commit)
5. Checksums (maybe commit)
6. Make recovery.conf parameters into GUCs (commit something of use,
but very basic)
Thanks. It is good to know.
As you are not planning to touch the patch, I took myself the last version of Masao and realigned it with current head.
Here is what the patch does in details:
- Move all the recovery.conf parameters in postgresql.conf
- recovery.conf is removed (no backward compatibility in this version of the patch)
- if you want to trigger a recovery at promotion or have the recovery parameters read on slave at startup, you need to create a file called recovery.trigger in PGDATA. (something like "touch recovery.conf" is enough). Once recovery is done, recovery.trigger is changed to recovery.done.

I found in the original patch a couple of bugs, which might have been there because things have changed a bit since 9.2 dev, especially around the trigger file. Those bugs are fixed. I also tested this new configuration set with several slaves, cascading slaves and even played with timeline switches... And it worked correctly.
I found that support for pg_basebackup -R was in the old patch, and I haven't done anything for that yet.

Hope it helps. Thanks,
--
Michael Paquier
http://michael.otacoo.com