Re: "Core" function in Postgres

От Michael Paquier
Тема Re: "Core" function in Postgres
Дата
Re: "Core" function in Postgres  (Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Sep 24, 2014 at 8:29 AM, Mingzhe Li <mingzhe0908@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi experts,
>
> I want to know what's the "core" function used in Postgres server? I am
> looking for something corresponding to main() in a simple C program. I want
> to know the file path and the function name. I am using Postgres 9.3.5,
> however I assume the "core" function will be unchanged between different
> revisions.
Er... Your question is rather unclear by using the term "core", making
it difficult to answer actually. Now, on this mailing list, you may
find Postgres "core" as defined as what is roughly produced by the
PostgreSQL central git repository in terms of binaries and libraries
for a huge set of platforms:
http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git. This "core" is
divided into many things:
- backend, the part postgres server itself is run
- contrib, a set of extra utilities not mandatory for the backend
- client utilities, like pg_dump, etc.
- common libraries shared between backend and client.

In your question, it seems that you are looking for the main() call
for the binary postgres, which is located in src/backend/main/main.c.
At the bottom of main() you'll see as well a set of functions like
PostmasterMain or PostgresMain that really define the startup path
used. PostmasterMain for example starts the postmaster, that is then
able to itself start backend process through PostgresMain()...

pgsql-hackers is as well a mailing list where people have technical
discussions about features and patches, hence your question would be
more adapted for pgsql-novice or pgsql-general.

Thanks,
--
Michael

От: Peter Geoghegan
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] “Core” function in Postgres
От: Andrew Dunstan
Сообщение: Re: JsonbValue to Jsonb conversion