Re: "Core" function in Postgres

От Gregory Smith
Тема Re: "Core" function in Postgres
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 9/23/14, 8:02 PM, Michael Paquier wrote:
> pgsql-hackers is as well a mailing list where people have technical
> discussions about features and patches, hence your question would be
> more adapted for pgsql-novice or pgsql-general.

Let's be fair and get the details perfect if we're going to advise
people on list policy, and that's not quite right if you compare against
http://www.postgresql.org/list/

The official description says you consider trying elsewhere first, and "
If your question cannot be answered by people in the other lists, and it
is likely that only a developer will know the answer, you may re-post
your question in this list".
From that, it's completely reasonable that Mingzhe guessed how main()
is used in PostgreSQL is something only a developer would know the
answer to, and therefore should go here instead of pgsql-general.

My feedback would be to point out that that pgsql-general is also a list
where " many of the developers monitor" traffic, and that's the right
place to post first for this sort of question.  The mailing list page
does not make that completely obvious though, so this is an
understandable thing to be unsure about.  This is definitely not a
pgsql-novice question.

The mailing list page could probably use an explicit clarification that
pgsql-general *is* an appropriate venue for simpler questions "that only
a developer will know the answer".

--
Greg Smith greg.smith@crunchydatasolutions.com
Chief PostgreSQL Evangelist - http://crunchydatasolutions.com/