Re: Visual Studio 2015 and telemetry calls

От Michael Paquier
Тема Re: Visual Studio 2015 and telemetry calls
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

https://yro.slashdot.org/story/16/06/10/1350245/visual-studio-2015-c-compiler-secretly-inserts-telemetry-code-into-binaries

> VS 2015 is adding calls to telemetry (surprise!) to track activity of
> an application... I can't believe that everybody wants that as enabled
> and a workaround to disable it is to add notelemetry.obj to the linker
> visibly. So could we consider disabling telemetry as the default
> behavior when building Postgres? Anybody willing to enable that could
> just fork and hack the scripts in src/tools/msvc/.
>
> Thoughts?

Actually, it would not be weird to enable it in DEBUG builds but
disable it by default. After more research this can emit as well ETW
events for Windows (sort of equivalent of dtrace for Windows).
--
Michael