Re: Default gucs for EXPLAIN

От David Rowley
Тема Re: Default gucs for EXPLAIN
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 26 May 2020 at 23:59, Vik Fearing <vik@postgresfriends.org> wrote:
> Are you saying we should have all new EXPLAIN options off forever into
> the future because apps won't know about the new data?  I guess we
> should also not ever introduce new plan nodes because those won't be
> known either.

Another argument against this is that it creates dependency among the
new GUCs. Many of the options are not compatible with each other. e.g.

postgres=# explain (timing on) select 1;
ERROR:  EXPLAIN option TIMING requires ANALYZE

Would you propose we just error out in that case, or should we
silently enable the required option, or disable the conflicting
option?

David