Re: startup message -> StartupMessage

От Dmitry Igrishin
Тема Re: startup message -> StartupMessage
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
>> On Thu, Jun 23, 2016 at 07:47:10AM +0300, Dmitry Igrishin wrote:
>>> Yes, but see the next sentence: "This message includes the names of
>>> the user and of the database the user wants to connect to; it also
>>> identifies the particular protocol version to be used." So, it's about
>>> the StartupMessage exactly.
>
>> OK, how is this attached doc patch?
>
> I do not think these are improvements.  This is introductory text,
> not some kind of formal-language specification.
I can agree with this asserting when the text points to some abstract
message, like "The server then sends an appropriate authentication
request message" (because there are several kinds of authentication
messages). But for the concrete messages, there are consistency like
"The frontend must now send a PasswordMessage containing the
password", or "in the normal case the backend will send some
ParameterStatus messages", except the "During this phase the backend
will attempt to apply any additional run-time parameter settings that
were given in the startup message."

--
// Dmitry.