Re: Missing timeline history file after execution of pg_upgrade

От Alexey Klyukin
Тема Re: Missing timeline history file after execution of pg_upgrade
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Tue, Feb 3, 2015 at 10:41 PM, Alexey Klyukin <alexk@hintbits.com> wrote:
> The path to reproduce the problem is quite simple:
>
> - setup the master and the replica setup, and promote the replica,
> creating a new timeline (timeline 2 by default)
> - pg_upgrade the promoted replica. This would create a new cluster
> with the same timeline, but without the history file.
> - create the streaming-only replica. The streaming replication will
> never start, since the timeline file is not there. The error messages
> are:
>
> ERROR:  could not open file "pg_xlog/00000002.history": No such file
> or directory
> FATAL:  could not receive timeline history file from the primary
> server: ERROR:  could not open file "pg_xlog/00000002.history": No
> such file or directory
>
> Note that this problem does not occur for the streaming-only replica
> of the newly created cluster (with a timeline 1), even when there is
> no timeline history file in the original datadir.

In our case I solved the problem by manually creating a 00000002.history file
on master. It consists of the previous timeline (obviously 1), the location when
the new timeline has been created (lost) and the text reason, which can be
arbitrary. As for the location, I don't think it matters much, since
we don't have
branched timelines and not going to switch to timeline 1 again, I've
put the value
of the 'Prior checkpoint location' from pg_controldata on the replica,
but I think
I could just put all 0 with the same effect.

Nevertheless, the question is should pg_upgrade move the timeline history file
from the old server to the new one, and, to be more specific, are
there any cases when
moving such file is not recommended?

Kind regards,
--