Re: [ADMIN] How do you manage cluster replication and failover ?

От Poul Kristensen
Тема Re: [ADMIN] How do you manage cluster replication and failover ?
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
The challenge is not whether to use the difference tools as you mentioned. The challenge is to make to optimal database design the get the optimal  backup/restore or disaster/recovery.
If you have just one database per Postgres installation and then just handle user/role security using schema's in one database  then it is a good choice in my opinion as only one installation to maintain.
If you have multiple databases I  think that you have to be aware of issues concerning the recovering of one database in an easy way. Furthermore be aware of the possibilty of corrupted databases. A regularly dump will help.  If using Debian's hdparm -I /dev/..     is usefull on Debian.

Write performance: I have  succeded writing 10 mill. records in 50seconds using 2 virtual servers with streaming replication. I haven't yet tried physical servers yet.

Hope this is usefull.

BR
Poul

Hello,

We are currently trying to setup a multi hosts databases cluster with goals:
 * replication (no data-loss is "required", replication timing do not needs to be instant)
 * failover
 * load-balancing (bonus)

We tried:
 * synchronious replication (pgpool replication mode) + load-balancing (pgpool) : very interesing as we can theorically failover on any node at any moment. But even after several configuraation tweeks, we never succeed getting good write performance.
 * asynchronious replication (postgres 9.6 streaming replication) : good write performance, good replication timings (< 1 second for small transactions). We could loadbalance select requests using pgpool.

How do you manage your postgresql clusters ? Do you use pgpool ? pgbouncer ? other ?
How do you manage to single access point ? usign pgpool ? pgbouncer ?
Do you use streaming replication ? WAL archiving ? How do you handle to automatic failover ?

Robin

--
Med venlig hilsen / Best regards
Poul Kristensen