Re: Improve planner cost estimations for alternative subplans

От Melanie Plageman
Тема Re: Improve planner cost estimations for alternative subplans
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Jun 5, 2020 at 9:08 AM Alexey Bashtanov <bashtanov@imap.cc> wrote:

In [1] we found a situation where it leads to a suboptimal plan,
as it bloats the overall cost into large figures,
a decision related to an outer part of the plan look negligible to the
planner,
and as a result it doesn't elaborate on choosing the optimal one.

I've just started looking at this patch today, but I was wondering if
you might include a test case which minimally reproduces the original
problem you had.
The only plan diff I see is in updatable_views.sql, and it doesn't
illustrate the problem as well as a more straightforward SELECT query
with EXISTS sublink might.

After putting in some logging, I see that there are only a
few non-catalog queries which exercise this code path.
This query from groupingsets.sql is an example of one such query:

select ten, sum(distinct four) from onek a
group by grouping sets((ten,four),(ten))
having exists (select 1 from onek b where sum(distinct a.four) = b.four);

But, the chosen plan for this query stays the same.

It would be helpful to see a query where a different plan is chosen
because of this change that is not from updatable_views.sql.

--
Melanie Plageman

Сообщение: Re: Review for GetWALAvailability()
Сообщение: Re: Review for GetWALAvailability()