Re: PostgreSQL 17 Release Management Team & Feature Freeze

От Melanie Plageman
Тема Re: PostgreSQL 17 Release Management Team & Feature Freeze
Дата
Re: PostgreSQL 17 Release Management Team & Feature Freeze  ("Andrey M. Borodin" <x4mmm@yandex-team.ru>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Apr 8, 2024 at 9:26 AM Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 7, 2024 at 6:50 PM Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> wrote:
> > And, as of the moment of typing this email, I get:
> > =# select '2024-04-08 00:00-12:00' - now() as time_remaining;
> >  time_remaining
> > -----------------
> >  13:10:35.688134
> > (1 row)
> >
> > So there is just a bit more than half a day remaining before the
> > feature freeze is in effect.
>
> OK, so feature freeze is now in effect, then.
>
> In the future, let's use GMT for these deadlines. There have got to be
> a lot more people who can easily understand when a certain GMT
> timestamp falls in their local timezone than there are people who can
> easily understand when a certain AOE timestamp falls in their local
> timezone.
>
> And maybe we need to think of a way to further mitigate this crush of
> last minute commits. e.g. In the last week, you can't have more
> feature commits, or more lines of insertions in your commits, than you
> did in the prior 3 weeks combined. I don't know. I think this mad rush
> of last-minute commits is bad for the project.

What if we pick the actual feature freeze time randomly? That is,
starting on March 15th (or whenever but more than a week before), each
night someone from RMT generates a random number between $current_day
and April 8th. If the number matches $current_day, that day at
midnight is the feature freeze.

- Melanie