Re: [HACKERS] Broken hint bits (freeze)

От Amit Kapila
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Broken hint bits (freeze)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Jun 11, 2017 at 11:59 PM, Vladimir Borodin <root@simply.name> wrote:

> 8 июня 2017 г., в 17:03, Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> написал(а):
>
> On Thu, Jun 8, 2017 at 6:49 PM, Dmitriy Sarafannikov
> <dsarafannikov@yandex.ru> wrote:
>

> Why didn't rsync made the copies on master and replica same?
>

> Because rsync was running with —size-only flag.
>

> IIUC the situation, the new WAL and updated pg_control file has been
> copied, but not updated data files due to which the WAL has not been
> replayed on replicas?  If so, why the pg_control file is copied, it's
> size shouldn't have changed?
>

> Because on master pg_upgrade moves $prefix/9.5/data/global/pg_control to
> $prefix/9.5/data/global/pg_control.old and creates new
> $prefix/9.6/data/global/pg_control without making hardlink. When running
> rsync from master to replica rsync sees $prefix/9.6/data/global/pg_control
> on master and checks if it is a hardlink. Since it is not a hardlink and
> $prefix/9.6/data/global/pg_control does not exist on replica rsync copies
> it. For data files the logic is different since they are hardlinks,
> corresponding files exist on replica and they are the same size.

Okay, in that case, I guess it is better to run Analyze on master
after the upgrade is complete (including an upgrade for replicas).  If
you are worried about the performance of read-only replicas till the
time Analyze on the master in completed, you might want to use
--analyze-in-stages of vaccumdb and or use (-j njobs) along with it to
parallelize the operation.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.