Re: Hash Indexes

От Amit Kapila
Тема Re: Hash Indexes
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Sep 24, 2016 at 10:49 PM, Greg Stark <stark@mit.edu> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 22, 2016 at 3:23 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> But to kick the hash AM as such to the curb is to say
>> "sorry, there will never be O(1) index lookups in Postgres".
>
> Well there's plenty of halfway solutions for that. We could move hash
> indexes to contrib or even have them in core as experimental_hash or
> unlogged_hash until the day they achieve their potential.
>
> We definitely shouldn't discourage people from working on hash indexes

Okay, but to me it appears that naming it as experimental_hash or
moving it to contrib could discourage people or at the very least
people will be less motivated.  Thinking on those lines a year or so
back would have been a wise direction, but now when already there is
lot of work done (patches to make it wal-enabled, more concurrent and
performant, page inspect module are available) for hash indexes and
still more is in progress, that sounds like a step backward then step
forward.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.