Re: [HACKERS] logical decoding of two-phase transactions

От Amit Kapila
Тема Re: [HACKERS] logical decoding of two-phase transactions
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Sep 9, 2020 at 3:33 PM Ajin Cherian <itsajin@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 7, 2020 at 11:17 PM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> Nikhil has a test for the same
>> (0004-Teach-test_decoding-plugin-to-work-with-2PC.Jan4) in his last
>> email [1]. You might want to use it to test this behavior. I think you
>> can also keep the tests as a separate patch as Nikhil had.
>>
> Done. I've added the tests and also tweaked code to make sure that the aborts during 2 phase commits are also
handled.

Okay, I'll look into your changes but before that today, I have gone
through this entire thread to check if there are any design problems
and found that there were two major issues in the original proposal,
(a) one was to handle concurrent aborts which I think we should be
able to deal in a way similar to what we have done for decoding of
in-progress transactions and (b) what if someone specifically locks
pg_class or pg_attribute in exclusive mode (say be Lock pg_attribute
...), it seems the deadlock can happen in that case [0]. AFAIU, people
seem to think if there is no realistic scenario where deadlock can
happen apart from user explicitly locking the system catalog then we
might be able to get away by just ignoring such xacts to be decoded at
prepare time or would block it in some other way as any way that will
block the entire system. I am not sure what is the right thing but
something has to be done to avoid any sort of deadlock for this.

Another thing, I noticed is that originally we have subscriber-side
support as well, see [1] (see *pgoutput* patch) but later dropped it
due to some reasons [2]. I think we should have pgoutput support as
well, so see what is required to get that incorporated.

I would also like to summarize my thinking on the usefulness of this
feature. One of the authors of this patch Stats wants this for a
conflict-free logical replication, see more details [3]. Craig seems
to suggest [3] that this will allow us to avoid conflicting schema
changes at different nodes though it is not clear to me if that is
possible without some external code support because we don't send
schema changes in logical replication, maybe Craig can shed some light
on this. Another use-case, I am thinking is if this can be used for
scaling-out reads as well. Because of 2PC, we can ensure that on
subscribers we have all the data committed on the master. Now, we can
design a system where different nodes are owners of some set of tables
and we can always get the data of those tables reliably from those
nodes, and then one can have some external process that will route the
reads accordingly. I know that the last idea is a bit of a hand-waving
but it seems to be possible after this feature.

[0] - https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20170328012546.473psm6546bgsi2c%40alap3.anarazel.de
[1] - https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAMGcDxchx%3D0PeQBVLzrgYG2AQ49QSRxHj5DCp7yy0QrJR0S0nA%40mail.gmail.com
[2] - https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAMGcDxc-kuO9uq0zRCRwbHWBj_rePY9%3DraR7M9pZGWoj9EOGdg%40mail.gmail.com
[3] - https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAMsr%2BYHQzGxnR-peT4SbX2-xiG2uApJMTgZ4a3TiRBM6COyfqg%40mail.gmail.com