Re: [Patch] Optimize dropping of relation buffers using dlist

От Amit Kapila
Тема Re: [Patch] Optimize dropping of relation buffers using dlist
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Sep 2, 2020 at 9:17 AM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> writes:
> > Even if the relation is locked, background processes like checkpointer
> > can still touch the relation which might cause problems. Consider a
> > case where we extend the relation but didn't flush the newly added
> > pages. Now during truncate operation, checkpointer can still flush
> > those pages which can cause trouble for truncate. But, I think in the
> > recovery path such cases won't cause a problem.
>
> I wouldn't count on that staying true ...
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CA+hUKGJ8NRsqgkZEnsnRc2MFROBV-jCnacbYvtpptK2A9YYp9Q@mail.gmail.com

I don't think that proposal will matter after commit c5315f4f44
because we are caching the size/blocks for recovery while doing extend
(smgrextend). In the above scenario, we would have cached the blocks
which will be used at later point of time.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.